Pages

Thursday, July 15, 2010

My Favorite Painting: The Bankers Daughter By Gustav Klimt

In my past life I might've been Mada Primavesi.  I was definetly Princess Anastasia, but I might've been Mada.  I can't remember the first time I saw this painting hanging in the impressionist wing of The Met, I was most likely too young to remember it, but on a return trip in High School I found myself spending more time in front of her than any Monet, Piccaso or Manet.  Prominent Moravian (?) banker Otto Primavesi and his actress wife Eugina Primavesi commissioned Austrian painter Gustav Klimt to paint a portrait of their spirited and spoiled daughter Mada. The Bankers Daughter was finished in 1912 and stands out not just because of Klimt's legacy but because artists of the time were still painting more traditional poses and stances when it came to commissioned children's portraits.  Klimt surrounds her in fairy-tale, a feeling that every little girl dreams of and this Mada bitty got to live.  This painting is my happy place; she's gorgeous, her outfit is slamming, love the headpiece and purple is my favorite color.  Although it's more likely Grace Coddington comes knocking on my door than ever owning this picture I plan on using it as the inspiration piece for my non-existent, most likely never happening daughter's room.  How hard is the artist who I "commission" to do a portrait of said non-existent spawn going to laugh in my face when I ask him to do something a-la Klimt? I might get hit. Probably wouldn't be the first time.

No comments:

Post a Comment