Pages

Tuesday, June 8, 2010

The CFDA Awards Round Up

Last night fashion's number one players got together to congratulate themselves on being masters of the universe at the Council of Fashion Designers of America 2010 Awards.  The night is for designers, models, editors- people in the game, but surprisingly at a night designated to honor fashion, the gowns were a little yawntastic.  Take a look at some of the looks I loved and looks that made me do a spit take, and not in a "I just saw Robert Pattinson naked" kind of way.
I understand SJP's desire to honor her friend and late designer Alexander McQueen but I don't love this piece.  When McQueen uses his crazy patterns they can easily fall pray to the worst dress list, while his other voluminous shaped creations are widely loved and celebrated.  I wish she would've picked something a little more timeless and a little less Ferngully. 

I don't know whether or not her and Justin Timberlake are on the rocks but I do know that recently she has looked ABSOLUTELY AMAZING and the same holds true for Jessica Biel in this DVF column gown.

Love Jess Stam. Love this Giambattista Valli gown with Fenton/Fallon necklace. She looks so fresh faced and innocent from the neck up... but then... haute.

 Whitney Port's body looked amazing in this David Meister gown, I just wish the fabrication was a little younger and little less golden granny.  If it was a light and airy print I deel like that would've been perfection.
Hillary Rhoda can do no wrong in my book especially in this Rachel Roy.

Dree Hemingway looked casual but chic in this Calvin Klein Collection ensemble.

 HARK THE HERALD ANGEL SINGGGGGGG. I mean what would the night be without Ed Westwick,
 I once had a dream that Alexa Chaung was giving me an interview and she showed me all these pictures of me looking really ugly and fat so I've decided to hate her and its not hard when she looks so dowdy in this Marc Jacobs dress.
 Doutzen Kroes in Michael Kors looks classic and chic. Perfection.
 Not youthful.
 Gwenyth Paltrow was one lucky lady as she arrived on the arm with Lifetime Achievment Honoree Michael Kors, both in Michael Kors.
Rachel Roy was my favorite of the night in her own design.

 Molly Sims was a close second in a short and glittery DVF cocktail dress.

 Battle of the editors! Both Vogue's Tonne Goodman wore Michael Kors and Marie Claire's Nina Garcia wore Michael Kors, but who looks best? You tell me.

 Designer of the Year Nominee Tory Burch wore her own design but I wish she had worn one of her sparkly numbers!
 Icon recipiant Iam and her hubby David Bowe wore a custom Giambattista Valli.  In her acceptance speech she said to Bowe 'move over there are two icons on this couch.'
 Amanda Hearst looked cute in this little yellow number, but was it right for the event? Not so sure.
 Rachel Bilson, you have it all! Amazing style, your a ten and you got your fiance to not only wear Richard Chai but go to a fashion function with Richard Chair.
 Elle's creative director Joe Zee looked cute with Fern Mallis who wore Rachel Roy.
 The night took a reflective turn as they honored the late Alexander McQueen.
 Anna Wintour presented MK with his lifetime achievement award.
Marc Jacobs won Womenswear Designer of the year, which is not a huge surprised and totally deserved. I was so excited that Alexis Bittar took home the accessory designer of the year, he's designs paired with the Joan Collins ads just hit the spot for me.  Whelp, it sounded like an amazeball night! One day...

{Photos NYMAG via The Cut}

No comments:

Post a Comment