Pages

Monday, June 14, 2010

Summer Reading: Fifth Avenue, 5 a.m

I'm on this kick where I'm going back and reading all the books I "read" in high school and college but I'm going to take a break from Tolstoy for this one, Fifth Avenue, 5 A.M: Audrey Heprburn, Breakfast at Tiffany's and The Dawn of the Hidden Woman.   As much as it always pained me to stand on the sidelines the first day of field hockey practice because my parent's didn't hand in my health forms, I was always the first of my friends to see every movie, from the classics, like Breakfast at Tiffany's and Roman Holiday, to The Bodyguard. (Even at five I knew there was something wrong with Whitney).  I can't remember when I first saw Breakfast at Tiffany's but I totally walked around in a black dress of my mom's for a week straight (with my plastic ruby slippers) and used a bic pen for a cig.  Every girl has a version of that story or had the freaking poster in their dorm room and this book attempts to pin-point why Breakfast is such a cultural phenomenon.   I think I'm going to get Truman Capote's Breakfast At Tiffany's before this book comes out on June 22; according to this NY Mag article, Capote wanted Marylin Monroe to play Holly.  I've always been interested to see the raunchy depiction of Holly as a call girl and not some space cadet who gets $50 to go to the powder room and now that I don't have to write a paper on it... it's the perfect time.

No comments:

Post a Comment